ABOUT DR. MICHAEL FUREY
“I went into dentistry for two main reasons:
First, for the opportunity to help and heal.
Secondly, for the chance to apply my penchant
for workmanship and creativity.
For me, dentistry is a calling - one which
has led me to meet many wonderful people and afford
me the best aspects of both a profession and a craft.”
Dr. Michael Furey graduated from the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry with distinction in 1981 where he was awarded honorary membership in Omicron Kappa Upsilon, a national honor society that represents the very top dental graduates in the country. Since then he has continued his education on a number of fronts to stay abreast of the most current methods and materials including the world renowned Panky Institute for Advanced Dental Education. He has traveled extensively to study with the top names in the fields of dental research, education and practice. Dr. Furey's commitment to continuing education has earned him the prestigious Fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry, a distinction conferred on less than 8% of dentists nation wide.
Dr. Furey has been active in many levels of organized dentistry over the years in the form of several committee memberships with the Minnesota Dental Association and the Saint Paul District Dental Society. He is a cofounder of The Minnesota Alliance of Concerned Dentists which is a political action group representing the interests of both patients and dentists in the state. For many years Dr. Furey has served as a mentor for dental students at the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry.
Dr. Furey regularly supports the community in many ways: Most notably through his volunteer service to the Union Gospel Mission dental clinic, his involvement with Give Kids a Smile Day providing free dental services to children in need, Donated Dental Services program providing dental care to handicapped and elderly patients in need, and Give Back a Smile which provides dental care to victims of domestic violence and abuse.
Dr. Furey lives in Saint Paul with his wife, Kathi, who is a preschool teacher at Crocus Hill School. His daughter, Erin, works for Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia in New York City.
Memberships & Affiliations:
- American Dental Association
- Minnesota Dental Association
- Minnesota Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Saint Paul District Dental Society
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Academy of General Dentistry
- Spear Study Club
- Pankey Institute Alumni Society
Honors & Awards:
- Fellow of The Academy of General Dentistry
- Member Omicron Kappa Upsilon - National Dental Honor Society
- Top Dentist - Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine in both cosmetic and general categories
- Top Dentist - Minnesota Monthly Magazine
- Top Dentist - Twin Cities Consumer Checkbook
- Top Dentist in America - Consumer Research Council of America
- "Best Place for Dental Care" - Lillie Suburban Newspaper - Readers Choice Award